PRE-FEDERATION TASMANIAN LOCAL FORCES HELMETS – PAIR – CIRCA 1880
I have been dealing in Military Antiques for 47 years and a collector since I was 6 years old and can honestly say that I have never come across such a wonderful untouched pair of helmets such as these two. Both are in superb condition with no breakdown of cork or mothing. Well done to the people who cared for them over 140 years.
- BLACK CLOTH OR’s HELMET complete with Tasmanian Local Forces first type large helmet plate with two attachment lugs - no extra holes and original to the helmet. Attached leather sweat band with gilt embossing “CHRISTY’S LONDON” Has all the expected fitting’s and lined chin chain. Black horsehair plume with ring keeper which is inserted through a ball. Binding to the base of the plume a little loose.
- WHITE CLOTH HELMET of the same period with the 1876 patent “CHRISTY’S LONDON” label makes it certain that these helmets were purchased together. Typical six panel cork covered white cloth with patten leather hat band of matching colour to the helmet trim and sweat band which has 8 cork spaces. Two internal large brass hooks for the chin chain which was probably interchangeable with the first helmet.
The white cloth helmet came with a double decker Breather button on the top. This threw me for a while as it served no purpose, however, I feel quite sure it was to allow the plume to pass through for parade use. The original owner probably simply “stored” it this way not to lose it. I believe there is a strong possibility these helmets belonged to the Band.
CHRISTYS is not a very recognized maker in the field of Australian Pre-Fed Helmets and helmets to other ranks are impossible to find.
Superb condition and a rare pair $10,000.00
Shipping and Returns
- Flat rate shipping for all orders. $10 AUD to ship within Australia, $25 AUD for international shipping.
- Once your product has shipped, it usually takes 2 to 3 business days in USA, 3 to 8 in Europe. 5 to 15 for the rest of the world.
- You can return your product up to 30 days after receiving your order. Please make sure that the products are not used or damaged.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.